Concepts describe structure and content of the Morpheus Metaverse, users of the platform, and platform modules.
Metaverse backend stores and operates data that describe and empower the concepts of the platform: places, universes, artifacts, worlds, modules and such.
- Structure of the Metaverse: how it is split into separate spaces for different clients, and what those spaces comprise, i.e. ‘places’ and ‘universes’.
- Information about platform’s users: what is stored for each user, and how this information is organised; i.e., ‘profiles’ and ‘avatars’.
- Information about platform modules: bundles of ready-to-use content assets that contain specific functionality that goes beyond core platform features.
Morpheus Metaverse is an (unlimited) space where everything happens. Various kind of content is placed in that space, and users are joining the experiences that are held there.
This space is organised into hierarchical structure, different levels of which are responsible for different features such as: content ownership, access restrictions, navigation.
Here is the list of concepts in the order of hierarchy (top–down):
- Metaverse — one or more Universes that are own by a particular client. This concept is not expressed in the Metaverse Backend API and used on the product/offering level only.
- Universe — a subspace of the Metaverse that is separated from others and has its own list of members. One Universe can have many Places.
- Place — a separate part of the Universe that has its own address. Places can be public or can only accept users from their own whitelist. One Place can host several Worlds which are called Placed Worlds.
- Placed Worlds — Worlds situated in a particular place. Placed Worlds are using Worlds from Modules. They provide users with environment where they are embodied.
- Destinations — areas within Placed Worlds designated to be used as landing destination for in-world portals or as a starting spawn point for users entering the Place.
Contents of the Metaverse is stored in Folders which are situated either in a particular Place or in a Universe. Folders of a particular Place can be acessed from that Place only; Universe-level Folders are accessible in all Places.
These are the key concepts Metaverse Backend store:
- Worlds — 3D environments that are to be situated in a particular Place (=placed). E.g., ‘Magic Forest’ or ‘Headquarters.’ Once placed, Worlds can be visited by users.
- Artifacts — 3D objects that can be spawned in a particular Place. E.g., ‘Microphone,’ ‘Table,’ or ‘Boxing Glove.’ Some Artifacts can be picked up by users and some require Decorator tools to be moved around (typically, furniture). Some Artifacts have interactable capabilities.
- Media — various kinds of media content: images, presentations, audio (pending: video, 3d). Media content is uploaded via Admin Portal and then can be present (shown or played) in-world via special Media Content Artifacts such as ‘Slidescreen,’ ‘Photo Frame,’ ‘Content Globe,’ and ‘Loud Speakers.’
Artifacts that are spawned in a particular Placed World, their state (position, rotation, settings included linked Media) is stored by Metaverse Backend to ensure their continuous existence — to keep the user experience close to reality.
Morpheus platform requires two kinds of information related to its users:
- Personal Information which describes a particular person who operates on the platform;
- Universe Profile which describes how a particular person represented in a particular Universe, and what are the rights that the person has.
NB: Avatar (ReadyPlayerMe-powered 3D representation) is a part of Universe Profile, but it is synchronised between all Universes.
Personal Information includes: person’s name and job title, photo, short bio, location, and email (as access credentials).
Universe Profile includes: user’s Avatar and access permissions on the universe-level. Universe Profile is always connected to a specific Universe. T
If a user is invited to several Universes, they have a profile in each of them. E,g., while Morpheus staff are admins and facilitators in their own Universe, they are only guests in the Universes of Morpheus’ clients.
Each Metaverse Backend maintains its own Module Registry. That is a list of Modules which can be used by clients who host their Universes on this particular Backend.
In fact, Module Registry exists on the Universe-level. Some of those Registries are marked ‘public’ and are accessible from any Universe. But if a client needs a bespoke module that only they can use, such modules are placed in the Module Registry of their Universe.
Metaverse Backend Servers are completely independent.
Each Universe comprises a number of Places, Folders, Unity-based assets, and Universe profiles.
Each Place hosts one or several Worlds, where Artifacts can be placed.